10 September 2005

Five for Annie

Annie at Retrotype has asked me for five gentle questions.

If you find Annie's comments on other blogs, you will see she is a witty, observant and funny friend. I rate her very highly indeed.

However, circumstances mean that she keeps her own blog as a general diary of daily events and a way of keeping constant contact with her sons, so that very few strong opinions or glimpses of her lightning wit are allowed to shine through.

If ever she starts an anonymous blog for letting off steam, it had better not be anonymous from me! From what I know of her I bet her observations on some very silly or annoying people she has had to deal with would make her a laugh a minute.

Anyway, as this is to be gentle and as Annie so very obviously dotes on her boys:

Annie,

1. You love your boys so very much - what characteristics are you trying to instill by example? Apart from never speaking evil of anyone even if they ask for it. That one's obvious.

2. Describe one really happy childhood experience involving your mum, when you felt extra special.

3. If you had £500 completely spare and only a weekend to spend it in, what would you buy?

4. You are thinking of renaming your blog. What are the names you have discounted so far, and why?

5. Describe your boys - height, attitude, special qualities.

Hope that wasn't too gentle; can't wait for your answers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
anniebee said...

I'm posting my answers here as well as on my blog, as I think that may be disappearing. Son 1 tells me that he doesn't need the webspace, so I may as well use Blogger or a similar service.

1. You love your boys so very much - what characteristics are you trying to instill by example? Apart from never speaking evil of anyone even if they ask for it. That one's obvious.
Honesty, caring about others, a sense of humour, having time for people and not discriminating against people who are 'different'.
2. Describe one really happy childhood experience involving your mum, when you felt extra special.
I've had so many happy experiences involving my Mum that it's difficult to choose. I remember going for walks with her along a path with trees on either side. She would make up stories about the people who lived in the tree trunks. When I was in hospital as a small child, she managed to get me a Teeny Tiny Tears doll which I was longing for. She got the last one in the shop, and probably the town. It has one eyelid that goes up and down, and one that goes from side to side, but that didn't matter to me. She's always made me feel extra special, and still does.
3. If you had £500 completely spare and only a weekend to spend it in, what would you buy?
Off the top of my head, I'd like to buy presents for my parents and the boys. If I had to spend it on myself then probably a very cheap laptop, or something else in the gadget line.
4. You are thinking of renaming your blog. What are the names you have discounted so far, and why?
Rants in my pants - because hopefully I won't need to rant that much.
Bipolar Bookworm - it might be accurate but it doesn't define me.
Annie's Blog - boring!
Myopic meanderings - just don't like it, particularly the word 'meanderings'.
Just Me - boring again.
5. Describe your boys - height, attitude, special qualities.
Son 1 is about my height (5′8′') and slim without being skinny. He's a bit like me in that he's quite sensitive, can be excitable (I used to be once!). He's pretty caring, but tends to get involved in things (like computer games) to the exclusion of all else at times. He's quite academic if he puts his mind to it. Very good at maths, and gets good marks in most subjects if he applies himself. He's a bookworm like his Mum. He's also quite artistic, and has shown an interest in drawing, graphic & web design from an early age. He's also not half bad at taking photos. He wants to be a graphic designer. He plays hockey, squash & golf. He's caring, good with younger children & generally fun to be with.
Son 2 is about 5′6′' tall and very slightly stockier than Son 1. His sport is rugby, but like Son 1 he is good at most sports. He has a calmer temperament than Son 1, and is very affectionate towards me, belying the roughie-toughie front he tries to put on. He's always had very good social skills, from a young age, and has plenty of invites to birthday parties, sleepovers etc. He's pretty good at school if he makes the effort, and can manage most subjects. He enjoys listening to music, and watching television and films. He's a very loving child, which I think I see the most of, as he hides it around friends and some of his other family members. Like his brother he is very caring, and quite solicitous towards me. He has talked about being a policeman, and even a care worker in a children's home (too much watching Tracy Beaker?), but seems to be undecided at the moment.