There are people expressing genuine concerns that aid given to poor countries might not go in through anything as sensible as one of the aid agencies, but end up on the black market, or giving el presidente a gold liner for his swimming pool.
Fair enough, if you think our world leaders are actually that thick.
There are others who are whingeing about their tax dollar, about reinvestment in schools, about charity beginning at home.
A baby dies every three seconds, the equivalent of the population of a medium sized western town just ups and dies, wiped out, every single day
- because western pharmaceutical companies have no restraint on their pricing in the third world, and even the workers earn about $2 a day so they cant even afford an aspirin
- because trade is set up so that the West can subsidise its farmers but the third world isnt allowed to
- because toxic chemicals and unsafe items that are banned in the West are still cheerfully made and sold in the poorer countries by the western multinationals who rake in profits
- because theres no such thing as fair trade
- because when people are poor and desperate they are often at each others throats, which makes the western arms manufacturers very friendly to governments that do nothing
I hate the fact that there are people who think that charity should begin at home, as long as its someone else providing the charity and its their home. People who want better education and better deals for the homeless in their own country, but havent given a single homeless person a single hot meal in their lifetimes.
People who are scared that maybe the cable TV would have to go back, or they couldnt afford a foreign holiday this year, if it meant helping other human beings.
I have names for them, but they're all unprintable. Excuse me while I sign off to go PUKE because this bloody self centred attitude has made me feel thoroughly sick.
If you are NOT one of these poor, blinkered umm (oh I'm sorry, whats it called in your country when you watch a murder and do nothing?), then pop on over to live8live.com to sign the petition, or AT LEAST go to Oxfam.org.uk or makepovertyhistory.org to see the truth, and what else could be done.