31 July 2005

Free Association 130

LunaNina's weekly word association. Even though 'free association' sounds to me like when they let all the prisoners into the mess hall or something.

1. Risks:: Things you come across every waking moment - every single tiny choice is a risk in its own minute way. Risks are good. I LIKE risks. Disasters are scary, but being able to take a risk means being able to control things, change things, try for something better. This does not include stupid risks!
2. Abdominal:: ..pain. Only doctors and athletes use the word abdominal, and I guess in my mind as a mother, doctors win out, just. I did think of crunches, just after, but they equate to pain too.
3. Radiant:: ..looking. Very old fashioned word. If someone said that I/she looked radiant my immediate gut reaction would be 'pompous git'.
4. The usual:: The answer when people ask what you've been doing with yourself instead of how you are - 'Oh, the usual.' Kind of a diminishing statement suggesting 'nothing much'.
5. Mix and match:: The smell of paint. Really, for me it associates with a smell more than words, just makes me think of the wallpaper and paint section in a huge, dusty DIY centre
6. Wireless:: Radio. Its an old fashioned and nearly defunct word. In most cases, things being literally 'without wires' is taken for granted these days.
7. Remedial:: ..classes - handwriting
8. Mile:: Half the walk to our shops
9. Long lost:: ..relatives. Another phrase that only turns up in books.
10. Only one:: Sounds like a command. I find I would resent hearing this, say if you were offered a choice of items and just as you make your selection, someone comments 'Only one'. Of course only one, but you just took all the joy and concentration out of the choice and insulted me by inference, in fact whatever you've got going you can keep the lot now, I'm not accepting a favour from a suspicious and condescending git. I choose not to be grateful to an insulting person.

No comments: