22 April 2006

Ooh Ducky

Flanagan and Allen gay? Really? They never struck me that way, but then in my childish innocence people were just people.

When I was a kid I inherited a stereogram - a sideboard, basically, with a hinged lid, just for playing records. It had a selector to switch speed between 33s and 78s and amongst the thick (bakelite?) discs that I inherited with it was a large 78 single by these two, a recording of 'When You Come To The End Of Your Lollipop'.

I played it over and over until I knew all the words:

When you come to the end of a lollipop,
To the end, to the end, of a lollipop,
When you come to the end of a lollipop,
Plop goes your heart!

Gilly Oh golly, Oh I love my lolly,
Down to the very last lick,
But when you are through with it, what can you do with it,
All you have left is the stick.

When you come to the end of a lollipop,
To the end, to the end, of a lollipop,
When you come to the end of a lollipop,
Plop goes your heart!

Gilly Oh golly, Oh I love my lolly,
Come winter and summer and spring.
But when you are done it's about as much fun,
As a yoyo without any string.

When you come to the end of a lollipop,
To the end, to the end, of a lollipop,
When you come to the end of a lollipop,
Plop goes your heart!

Plop goes your heart!


The thing is, and I admit it makes sense, according to The Little Theatre Guild discussion forum, its a gay anthem of it's time.

Aww, I think that's sweet. It must be bloody hard to hide in plain sight, to find love and a life partner like finding a needle in a haystack under sniper fire. Good for them.

2 comments:

Greg said...

You old romantic, you! You are right though.

Anonymous said...

I've been searching for years for someone who even remembers that song and there you go transcribing all the words.